Thursday 14 November 2013

Stuck in an airport

Ever see someone ‘famous’ in an airport? Now when I say famous, I don’t mean you hanging out around the first class lounge at LAX. I just mean local musician, popular athlete, etc.; just someone you recognize but don’t know personally (or though facebook creeping mutual friends).

Anyone who has done a fair bit of flying I am sure has come across someone at an airport, wither it is Simple Plan in the O’Hare food court, or Jon Montgomary (Gold Metal Olympian) ahead of you in the Pearson security screening, these ‘famous’ people are always around. Always just famous enough for you to notice them, but obviously not famous enough to have security with them. Sometimes people ask for photos or autographs, but most people just stare and pretend they aren’t staring because they are too cool to act anything but totally normal.

For a significant amount of time now, I have felt like Kathy Griffith in an airport. Kathy Griffith is a comedian, who is famous in the way of ‘you’d know her to see her’. She had a show a little while ago called ‘My life on the D list’, mocking her non-celebrity, celebrity.  Kathy is famous to have almost everyone in the airport recognize her, some photos, some autographs, more than local celebrities, but significantly less than Macklemore in the economy class check in line.

You may be thinking to yourself ‘Someone get Maura home, she isn’t making sense anymore. She only wishes she was Kathy Griffith so she could fulfill her lifelong dream of being a natural ginger.’ Well, probably. But stay with me here, people.

Bamenda is a city, but the longer I am here, the longer I feel like I am in a small town. People always recognizing you from being around, familiar taxi drivers, running into friends around the city, you get the idea. Kind of like getting up to stretch your legs and seeing the same passengers work their way around their respective terminal as well. Once you’re in an airport, you can’t leave. Well, you can but you have to go out and then go back through security and it is a huge hassle. From Bamenda to the two major cities (Douala or Yaoundé) by bus is about 9 hours, even if you want a quick trip it is 7 hours to Limbe. A hassle to say the least, especially once you consider how bad the roads are for 2 hours until you get into the next region.  Therefore, I am trapped in the airport that is Bamenda. (Ironically, there is no airport in Bamenda because it was closed due to Bamenda’s isolation in relation to the rest of the country and therefore lack of use.)
I am going to say something shocking… I am white. I know I just took you by surprise, but that is something I have been hiding for a long time. I am a white girl of European decent. Considering the vast majority of the national population in Bamenda is not white, I tend to stand out like chalk on a fresh blackboard. Everyone notices me, some people ask for photos, more ask for my contact, some just want to touch my hair.  There aren’t a lot of expats in Bamenda, some Peace Corps volunteers once a month to get their paycheck, but in terms of expats who are living in the city of Bamenda full time I would say there are about 100. Of those 100, I would say 50 are here with the Baptist Mission, so they spend most of their time on their compounds. Seeing a rouge white girl roaming around trying to get her paws on either a booster or some fabric is a strange and unique site. Therefore, making me somewhat ‘famous’ because everyone sees me, most recognize me from a previous spotting, most too cool to do anything but there are a lot of double takes when I come around a corner. Therefore, I am a D-list celebrity.
Maura in Bamenda = Kathy Griffith in an airport
So I feel like I am trapped in an airport, and in three weeks from today I am travelling to Douala. It seems like I just got here and I have been here forever, all at the same time. Only 1.5 more two week cycles. I am not feeling nostalgic yet, but I think I will soon. I suppose I will get another booster and some fried irish while I still can.

All my love,
Maura

No comments:

Post a Comment