Saturday 27 April 2013

Let the Goodbyes Begin


Well, another week has passed too quickly in the preparation of my adventure. This past week I was in St. Catharine’s for a few days visiting my sister. To all my friends in the GTA, I am sorry I didn't call you / didn't see you. It isn't because I don't love you, it is just that my sister is my emergency contact, so I kind of wanna keep on good terms with that, you know. Realistically, I was hardly even there; promise I’ll visit when I get home.

I did have a delightful visit though, lots of eating, lots and lots of eating.  It was nice to spend a little time with sister before embarking on the next 6 months. Though the goodbye was sad, I only really see Margaret a few times a year so it is not a big deal. My pants were tight before I found out about the internship, but now they just don’t fit. It feels like my entire family is trying to fatten me up, like a pig for slaughter. I’m not complaining, all the food I am eating is beyond delicious.

I started my first round of vaccinations; I thought I was more than halfway through, but it seems not. Alas, I am rapidly losing my concern over needles, so it is for the best. Also, because I am technically in an educational program, I am back on George’s insurance. It is nice to save a little money, it is better in my pocket than someone else’s. It makes me feel like this:

                                 

Also when I was away I met (via email) the other two girls I am traveling with, Dana and Leah. I thought I was only going with one other person, so it was a nice surprise; strength in numbers. I also got my flight path, which isn’t bad at all. Pretty easy connections 2/3 hour layovers which is just enough time to get through customs which is nice. So, I officially leave Halifax the afternoon of Saturday, June 1st, and officially return to Halifax the night of Sunday, December 1st.  Both ways my flight path is Halifax – Toronto – Istanbul – Douala. Once I am in Douala, I have about an 7/8 hour bus ride (or so it seems according to all the blogs I have been reading) from Douala to Bamenda. In regards to luggage, my goal is to have a hiking pack, my little wheely carryon suitcase and a small backpack to serve as my ‘personal item’. As I look at the cramped loveseat filled with all the stuff (read: crap) I want to take with me (and I still have a page long list) it isn’t looking all that promising. Well, I can always try my best, and if I need to take a second suitcase I certainly can.

Speaking of the mess of things, I should probably purge some items and see where I really stand with my luggage.

All my love,
Maura 

No comments:

Post a Comment