Wednesday 12 June 2013

Alive and Well in Bamenda

Hello World!
I am alive! Sorry for the delay in the update, it has been a busy week or so, and we don’t have internet at home.

Travel was long, but good. I recommend Turkish airlines, lots of food, lots of movies. We flew from Halifax to Toronto to Istanbul to Douala. Sadly, I did not get any baklava in Istanbul, but there were a few very interesting looking Turkish ice cream stands that I will certainly be investigating on our way home; who even knew that Turkish ice cream was a thing, but it looked delicious. I also found a place in the food court that has something very similar to pizza, and right next door somewhere to get profiteroles. Delicious.
Once we landed in Douala (at 11:30ish at night) I was hit with the heat almost instantly. Thankfully, where I am living now (Bamenda) is significantly cooler than it is in Douala. 

We were greeted at the airport by the executive director of our organization, who got us settled at a hotel for the night before the 6/7 hour drive to Bamenda. After a good, but too short of a rest, it was time to embark on our journey. What a pretty drive, the landscape here is quite unique, the trees are tall and dense like in Costa Rica, but the hills were rolling like the Northern part of the South island of New Zealand, but it was dusty too. Very different, but very cool. The roads are actually quite good, to be honest the highway to get from Douala to Bamenda was as good as, or better than, some of the highways in rural Newfoundland (if my memory stands correct). We also had some unreal jams on the drive up, definitely a good omen of things to come.

We arrived (and have since settled in quite nicely) into our new home for the next 6 months. We are living in the basement apartment of our executive director’s aunt. It is a nice spot, 3 bedrooms, nice yard overlooking the city, and there is even a little convenience store at the end of our road. We have a double layered front door, which locks almost a little too well, considering we have already had an encounter with a welder to get us back in. Overall, the family has been very very kind to us, even hosting us for dinner on our first night there. For the record, incase anyone needs a welder in Cameroon, welding is a team sport. It requires many tools, some of which don’t need to be plugged in, just incase the closest outlet is on a second story window.

Our organization is great, they allowed us this week to get settled before we dug in too deep on our work. A couple of the ladies we work with took us into town to show us around and take us to the bank and show us the market and such, which was very much appreciated. The office itself is great, the organization runs some great programs, the people are so kind and helpful, and there is even an amazing view of the city, and mango trees in the yard. I could not ask for anything better. The programs are really cool, I am helping out with the café that the NGO runs, as well as youth entrepreneurship workshops and related activities. I just found out that I am also going to be assisting on a project with some imprisoned youth as well, very cool.


In terms of my adjustment, I think I am doing pretty well so far, though I am still very much in the honeymoon period. Every time I go to the market I end up trying to speak Spanish to people, for who knows what reason, but it is definitely a thing. I am getting pretty slick with the gas stove, thanks to many years at camp and my mother dragging me outdoors. I have done my first (small) load of laundry, which went pretty well if I say so myself.  

Yesterday I even greeted my first person in Pidgin! (the local dialect) it went like this:
Me: Good Morning
Man: Morning, sister. How fo you?
Me: I dey fine, how fo you?

Then he just looked surprised that I could respond, and I prayed quietly that he said nothing else to me in pidgin because that is all I know. Luckily one of our cowokers typed up a 2 page document which is basically pidgin for dummies, which I am forever thankful for, and will be practicing frequently.

We got a mirror for our place yesterday, and though I am still undecided if it was a good thing or not, it does make it feel a little more homey. We have even found a couple of cool places to eat, and you all know up there with couch napping, eating is my #1. I missed Knoon at one point when we were eating out, so I got a cola and slammed it in her honour; it was the biggest one on the menu, you’re welcome. My next task is to find a guitar, and I am yet to find anywhere selling musical instruments. A challenge in finding a guitar will be nothing compared to the benefits it will give, because if I don’t have one it will be a very long 6 months. I’ll give skype concerts, don’t worry.

I even have a cell phone, which I am happy to give you the number if you facebook/email me, incase you ever get lonely and want to rack up your phone bill with a call to Cameroon. I would certainly appreciate it (hint hint).

All is well, though I miss most of you reading this, it is comforting to know that there are 19 other Coady interns adventuring in various corners of the world (well, 17, if you remove the two other girls with me here). Besides, I am thinking it would also work well for me to combine my birthday and coming home event to a mega brunch. Only time will tell!


All my love,
Maura

No comments:

Post a Comment