Saturday 1 June 2013

Game Day

Good Morning, from the Lord Nelson Hotel in Halifax. As I sit in my plush double bed, with air conditioning pouring into the room, I thought it would be a good time to remind myself of something...

I move to Cameroon today.

Orientation in Antigonish was fantastic. We had some fantastic sessions on ABCD, Power and Privilege, Micro finance, and so many others. Yes, we had a session on safety and security, Scottie Mac. Hopefully that means the chances of me using my going away present have decreased exponentially. Becky, please still stand by, we both know in that situation you would be the one calling the shots.

(Another common question, "how do I find out if you are sick/dying/dead", well world, it is a pretty informal phone tree, basically my sister just calls Kathryn, and then Kathryn has a couple people to call and then from that word should spread.)

How am I feeling? Well, to be honest, I keep forgetting I am heading out. My mama came into Halifax last night and Aileen joined us for dinner at the Bicycle Thief. Needless to say I ate and drank my face off, and when I am sad in Cameroon I will think about that Gnocchi, and probably become more sad (item #14 that makes me sad). To be honest, I know I'm not ready. But realistically, who is ever ready for something like this? If you are thinking that you would be, you're lying to yourself, and I bet your pants are gonna catch on fire. The orientation was so inclusive and essential, and I am as ready as I will ever be. Some of the people who are going on placements are just so fantastic. If someone could explain to me how I was able to smile in life before Carmen's positivity surged into my soul, I would really appreciate it. Leah and Dana are now officially stuck with me for the next 6 months, so good luck girls; but I have faith.

To all the Coady interns, you're beautiful, I love you, and keep smiling. You'll do great, and I am so proud of all of you.

To Shila and Steph, thank you for keeping me sane for the 3 weeks prior to orientation, for that I will always be indebted to you. During the orientation I cannot express how nice it was to have a smiling face in the room, someone to ask my dev'sy questions to and challenge me on my ideas. You are both beautiful humans. Shila, thank you for also being my personal chauffeur, I will always treasure our chats in the car, especially when they are sweat lodge themed. I love you both dearly.

Well, I should probably jump in the shower and get ready for the long flight path ahead. All will be well; how do I know? Aileen is psychic and told me.

2013, makin' it work. Next time you'll hear from me, I will be in transit or in Cameroon!

All my love,
Maura

1 comment:

  1. Maura!!
    This is so awesome, your adventure there already sounds cool, so imagine what is to come for you over the next 6 months (+5yrs). Very excited to hear how things are going once you get started with your job. Also, could you include more detail about the types of food you eat in Cameroon? Like you, this is my primary concern. Also, do you find the people very friendly?
    Excited to keep reading all you have to share!
    Until then KS, stay well!
    xo
    Ju

    ReplyDelete